Wise Owl offers options that can be tailored to support individual needs.
Proofreading – removing flaws and attending to the final detail
If you have a piece of writing that is practically ready for publication, and simply needs another pair of eyes to look over it, I will be happy to provide a professional quality check.
· Correct errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation
· Identify inconsistencies, inaccuracies and omissions in wording
· Check headings, tables and references
· Review layout and presentation
In the case of a website, where visual impact is important, the layout and presentation review could include checking that the size and colour of the font are clear and easy on the eye.
Copy-editing – improving the structure, content and flow
If your work is at an earlier stage and needs a more critical appraisal, or perhaps a little reshaping, I will offer suggestions and advice to help you make the best possible impression on your reader.
In addition to the corrections offered through my proofreading service, I can look at the wording and intended meaning of your writing in more depth, consider elements such as sense and tone and ensure that ideas are expressed appropriately for the intended audience.
· Improve clarity and precision of language
· Check sentence and paragraph construction
· Ensure consistency of style
· Hone to meet a specified word limit
· Query apparent errors of fact or continuity
· Point out potential libel, partiality or copyright issues
Improvements to language might include:
· Untangling complicated phrases or sentences
· Tackling jargon and abbreviation
· Adjusting idioms confused in translation
· Removing ambiguities
I will always ensure that your unique voice can be heard clearly in your corrected document.
The distinctions between proofreading and copy-editing can seem unclear, and indeed several of my clients request what might be called ‘proof-editing’ services; these involve light editing that falls somewhere between the two. If you are not quite sure what will suit your work, how about sending me a sample? I can work through it with you and help you to decide.
Mentoring – supporting and nurturing
I am experienced in mentoring and tuition, and am interested in pursuing this aspect of my work. If you would like support in developing your written English skills, I will be glad to hear from you.
· Give positive and constructive feedback on pieces of writing
· Provide more detailed commentary and help with developing your ideas
· Explore the creative potential of your writing
· Encourage you to keep going
I have worked with beginner writers of fiction and poetry, and with international students. I am keen to support speakers of other languages.
Writing and rewriting – designing from scratch
If you know what you would like to say, but are unsure about how to put it into words, I will listen to your thoughts, consider the purpose and scope of the work you require and help you to create an engaging piece of writing that communicates your message effectively and imaginatively.
· Talk with you about the ideas you would like to convey
· Look over any notes or drafts you have already made
· Highlight key points and work on a clear and logical structure
· Help you to organise information effectively
· Match language and tone to your intended audience
· Advise you on any additional research required
I will make sure that your ideas form the basis of the work we do together and remain the focus of your finished piece.
A bespoke service
You might need any one of these services, or a combination. To learn more about how I can help you, please get in touch. I will always offer friendly advice, and will be pleased to discuss the options available to you.
I work mainly on smaller writing projects. If you have a larger piece of work that I am unable to undertake I will not subcontract it, but will instead direct you towards other appropriate services.